Access your home equity without losing your current mortgage’s great interest rate with a Second Mortgage from Newfi!
What is a Second Mortgage?
A Second Mortgage is a loan borrowers take out to get access to their home’s equity. Second Mortgages are independent of a borrowers first mortgage. They are a second lien on your home, with its own interest rate and terms. Unlike a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC), Second Mortgages are paid out in one disbursement.
What are Second Mortgage Rates?
Your exact rates depend on the equity in your home, the interest rate you qualify for, and the term you select. Contact us to review your options and calculate your payment.
Get In Touch with a Newfi Senior Loan Advisor Today!
Our team of dedicated Senior Loan Advisors are here to help you find the right mortgage solution for your situation.
Why Use a Second Mortgage?
Borrowers typically take out a Second Mortgage in order to access a set amount of funds from their home equity and pay for things like:
- Home Improvement Projects, like Renovations
- High-Interest Credit Card Debt
- School or College Tuitions
You may need to access your home’s equity to pay for other things as well. How you use the equity in your home is up to you!
What are Requirements for Second Mortgages?
Newfi’s Second Mortgage requirements
- Up to 90% Combined Loan-to-Value
- Up to a 50% Debt-to-Income Ratio
- Credit Scores as low as 640
- Loan Amounts from $100k to $500k
- Self Employed Income OK
- Available as a Standalone or Piggyback
Frequently Asked Questions
A Second Mortgage is a type of home equity loan option that allows borrowers to take out an additional mortgage using the equity in your home. Second Mortgages are entirely independent of a borrowers first mortgage loan — meaning it has its own loan terms and interest rate — and is an additional lien on the borrower’s property.
Access Your Equity and Keep Your Current Mortgage Interest Rate
- Because there could be more equity in your home than ever before, it’s a great time to take advantage of that passive equity and make it work for your current needs. With Second Mortgage, borrowers take a second loan that will have its own interest rate. This means you get to keep your great rate on your first mortgage!
Increasing Your Cash Flow
- With inflation on the rise, it’s more important than ever to create a steady and reliable cash flow. A Second Mortgage can help borrowers keep money in their pockets, pay off their debts, and be prepared for their landmark life moments!
Paying Down High Interest Debts
- Second Mortgage have better interest rates than traditional credit cards. Lower interest rates can help you reduce interest payments overtime and relieve stressful credit card payments
Piggybacks, or a Piggyback Mortgage, is a type of HELOC or Second Mortgage that borrowers take out alongside their first mortgage. With a Piggyback Mortgage, the first mortgage has the highest loan balance while the Piggyback Mortgage has a lower loan balance. These mortgages are often used to help borrowers fund part of their down payment and avoid having to pay for Private Mortgage Insurance.
- Down Payments Cost You Less Out-of-Pocket
- Avoid Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI)
- Lower Monthly Mortgage Payments when Piggyback is Paid Off
- May be Difficult to Qualify for Two Mortgages
- Main Mortgage and Piggyback Mortgage will Have Closing Costs Requirements
- You’ll Need to Pay Back Piggyback in full Before Refinancing
Because everyone has their own unique situation, we recommend speaking to a loan advisor about your options as your first step. Go to newfi.com/get-started or fill out the form on this page for a free consultation with one of our licensed loan advisors to learn about what documentation and qualifications you may need!